Monday 20 July 2015

DNF Book Review | Inherit the Stars by Tessa Elwood

Title: Inherit the Stars
Author: Tessa Elwood
Series or standalone: 1st in a series
Genre: Young Adult Science Fiction
Publication Date: 8th December 2015
Format: eARC
Source: NetGalley 
Goodreads

Three royal houses ruling three interplanetary systems are on the brink of collapse, and they must either ally together or tear each other apart in order for their people to survive.
Asa is the youngest daughter of the house of Fane, which has been fighting a devastating food and energy crisis for far too long. She thinks she can save her family’s livelihood by posing as her oldest sister in an arranged marriage with Eagle, the heir to the throne of the house of Westlet. The appearance of her mother, a traitor who defected to the house of Galton, adds fuel to the fire, while Asa also tries to save her sister Wren's life . . . possibly from the hands of their own father.
But as Asa and Eagle forge a genuine bond, will secrets from the past and the urgent needs of their people in the present keep them divided?
Author Tessa Elwood's debut series is an epic romance at heart, set against a mine field of political machinations, space adventure, and deep-seeded family loyalties.


I'll just start off by saying that I didn't finish this book. I only got 25% of the way through before I decided I didn't want to continue. I won't go too into depth because this book is yet to be released so I'll just quickly state the issues that I had with it. Young Adult Sci-Fi is one of my absolute FAVOURITE genres and this sounded absolutely epic, but as soon as I started reading, I knew this book wasn't going to be for me. 
The lack of world building and descriptions of the planets/worlds was astounding. There was hardly anything for me to form even a snippet of an image in my head. 
It was also really obvious that this was heading into a VERY romance heavy novel, so if you were looking for more of an epic sci-fi story (like I was) then maybe give this one a miss.
I also wanted more of the sci-fi elements, but there wasn't any apart from the fact that it's set on different planets, but when they travelled between planets, there was no mention of how they got there and how the heck they managed to get from one solar system to another in like, a day. HOW DOES THIS HAPPEN? WHERE IS THE SCIENCE? WHERE IS THE WORLD BUILDING? WHERE ARE THE DESCRIPTIONS? There were none and I'm very disappointed. I realise that as the book continues, it could have improved but to be honest I just wasn't enjoying it at all. 
I didn't rate it because I don't feel like that's fair because I didn't finish it, but based on the first 1/4, I'd give it a 1.5 star rating. 

No comments:

Post a Comment