Wednesday 25 March 2015

BOOK REVIEW | A COURT OF THORNS AND ROSES

Title: A Court of Thorns and Roses
Author: Sarah J. Maas
Series or standalone: The first in a trilogy
Genre: Mature YA Fantasy/Fairytale Retelling
Publication Date: 7th May 2015
Format: eArc
Source: NetGalley


This book. THIS BOOK. 
I was a bit wary going into this one because I was disappointed with Throne of Glass, but this book honestly exceeded my expectations by a milestone! Scratch that, it exceeded my expectations by 10000000 milestones!
This had everything I look for in a Fantasy book. Firstly, it's a retelling of Beauty and the Beast but it's a whole different story on its' own that is so unique and detailed, it certainly doesn't feel like you're reading a story that you've already read before. The characters were so real to me, it's like there were no holes in their stories. They were fully developed, well rounded characters that had so much depth to them. 
I think one of the things that I preferred about this book to Throne of Glass is that this had so much more romance! It wasn't too much that I was cringing, it was the perfect amount that gave me shivers and made my heart squeal with joy. 
It was such a pleasure reading from Feyre's point of view (the protagonist) because she knew about hardship and she knew about loss and that ongoing feeling of emptiness and in the beginning she reminded me a lot of Katniss Everdeen, but as the story progressed, she grew so much as a character and I honestly admired her courage and strength. She is definitely one of my new favourite female characters! She is so strong, but she is so filled with emotions that are laid bare in this book and I just love her so much. 
I feel as though Sarah J Maas' writing has grown since Throne of Glass and it was honestly just effortless and beautiful to read. I honestly have nothing bad to say about this book at all. 
I can't wait for you all to read this book, it was such a delight to read and I can't wait to see where the story goes next! 


Plot: ★★★★★
Characters: ★★★★★
Writing: ★★★★★
Romance/Feels: ★★★★★
Ending: ★★★★★
Overall Enjoyment: ★★★★★


Final Rating:  5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment