Friday 18 July 2014

BOOK REVIEW | TIGER LILY BY JODI LYNN ANDERSON

Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson

Genre: YA Fairytale Retelling/ Fantasy

My Rating: ★★★ 

Click here to go to this books' goodreads page!

Goodreads Summary:
Before Peter Pan belonged to Wendy, he belonged to the girl with the crow feather in her hair. . . . 
Fifteen-year-old Tiger Lily doesn't believe in love stories or happy endings. Then she meets the alluring teenage Peter Pan in the forbidden woods of Neverland and immediately falls under his spell. 
Peter is unlike anyone she's ever known. Impetuous and brave, he both scares and enthralls her. As the leader of the Lost Boys, the most fearsome of Neverland's inhabitants, Peter is an unthinkable match for Tiger Lily. Soon, she is risking everything—her family, her future—to be with him. When she is faced with marriage to a terrible man in her own tribe, she must choose between the life she's always known and running away to an uncertain future with Peter. 
With enemies threatening to tear them apart, the lovers seem doomed. But it's the arrival of Wendy Darling, an English girl who's everything Tiger Lily is not, that leads Tiger Lily to discover that the most dangerous enemies can live inside even the most loyal and loving heart.


I had such high expectations going into this book and I soooo wanted to love and adore it but I have to say, unfortunately I was slightly disappointed. This is a beautifully written retelling of Peter Pan, but a lot of things didn't add up with the real story of Peter Pan, and I know that this is a retelling and things are changed in retellings, but there were some things that I just couldn't get past in my opinion. I don't know why, but I was expecting the exact same story, but with bits that we didn't see in the real book that ultimately made Peter Pan who he is, but all of the characters were so different and Anderson changed the ending to the book completely! It was almost a totally different story! This is where I was let down. 

The writing was beautiful though and I loved the individuality of Tiger Lily and her father as characters, but I just couldn't move past the fact that everything was vastly different to the original. I did, however, thoroughly enjoy the world building and the pictures that the author managed to effortlessly conjure up in my head and found that the characters of Tiger Lily's tribe were all really interesting and different to read about. 

I don't really have much else to say except that I would still definitely recommend this book, but don't go into it expecting a different side of the same Peter Pan story, as this one is extremely different to the original. 

No comments:

Post a Comment