Friday 18 July 2014

BOOK REVIEW | PETER PAN BY J.M. BARRIE

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie

Genre: Classics, Childrens

My Rating: ★★★★

Click here to go to this books' goodreads page!

Goodreads Summary:
Peter Pan and Tinkerbell lead the three Darling children over the rooftops of London and away to Neverland - the island where the lost boys play. Magic and mischief is in the air but if villainous Captain Hook has his way, before long someone will be swimming with the crocodiles...

I'm not a fan of classics and I usually find the writing confusing and hard to understand at times, but I love the story of Peter Pan so I decided to give this one a go and I'm so glad I did! This book was first published in 1902, well over 100 years ago! I can only imagine what the reaction was when Barrie came out with a crazy children's story like this one! 

First things first, the writing was really odd and at times I found myself thinking that if I had never seen the movie, I would actually have had no idea what was going on in the book. The way it was written (especially in the first few chapters) was in a way that made me, as a reader, question whether what I was reading was actually happening or if it was just a metaphor or just something else completely weird altogether. I found that once there was more dialogue and it got further into the story, it became easier to follow and to understand where the story was going plot-wise. 

I loved comparing the differences between this and the movie (the one with Jeremy Sumpter), as so much was different in the book! First of all, Peter Pan was portrayed as more of a disturbed, overly cocky and more of a dark character in the book. There were also quite a few minor differences in regards to the actual storyline, but I won't go into detail!

Overall, I did really enjoy giving this book a go and I absolutely ADORED the ending (another thing that differs from the movie). It broke me but it was so, so beautiful. I loved it. I definitely recommend this one if you're already quite familiar with the story and want to read an entertaining classic as it's quite easy to read and is only just over 200 pages. I ended up giving Peter Pan 4 stars!




No comments:

Post a Comment